The Central Government’s flagship scheme, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) aims to provide affordable housing for all by the year 2022. It is a credit-linked subsidy scheme which promises to build pucca houses and reach more than 30 million people in the rural areas and more than 18 million people in the urban areas by 2022. ‘Housing for all’ is the plan that the scheme aims to fulfil. Launched in 2015, PMAY is being brought out in phases and will be completed by 2022.
The online application is user-friendly and convenient as it helps to track the status of the application. The details of the application can be found on the PMAY website (pmaymis.gov.in) created under the Housing and Urban Development Ministry.
Check whether you can apply
First and foremost, check whether you are eligible to apply for the scheme. For it, go on to the website and go to the PMAY beneficiary list. Make sure, you have a valid Unique Identification Number or Aadhaar. Income and bank details should also be kept handy to fill in the required details.
Here is a list of all the documents that are required for registering under the scheme.
- As already mentioned, Aadhaar is mandatory.
- For residential and identity proof, valid Voter ID, PAN Card or driving license can be provided.
- Minority community proof needs to be provided in case it is applicable.
- A proof of nationality is also mandatory. A passport can be used for the same.
- Since the scheme pertains to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), Low-Income Groups (LIG) and Middle Income Groups (MIG), a proof of the requisite income group needs to be submitted.
- Two years’ salary slips need to be provided.
- Income Tax returns of the last two years should also be provided.
- A certificate of property valuation should also be attached.
- Account statements and bank details need to be attached.
- There should be no pucca house under the applicant’s name. A proof of the same should be provided.
- A home is being constructed in the name of the applicant should also be shown on paper as a proof.
How to fill the details
On the website, click the drop-down menu and go to the option, ‘Citizen Assessment’ and click on the category of choice whether for ‘Benefits under other 3 components’ or ‘For Slum Dwellers’. In the next step, you need to feed in your Unique Identification Number (UIN). After the verification of the Aadhaar, you will be directed to Page 2 comprising of personal details that need to be filled in correctly. Make sure, all the details are mentioned along with the captcha code and submit the form.
Check the status of your application
The process doesn’t just end with filling up. The application has to be followed up. One can keep a check by either entering the given application number in the ‘Track Status’ feature or by entering other personal details like name, father’s name, ID details etc.
You can also keep a print out of the application for further perusal.
Points to remember
Only certain categories including EWS, LIG can apply for the scheme.
If any of the details provided are not factual, incorrect or misrepresented, then the home loan could be canceled and legal course of action against the applicant could be taken.
Any incorrect or misinformation in the income details could lead to cancelation of loans and strict legal action on the applicant/applicants.